Understanding VIDIZMO ECDN
ECDN or Enterprise Content Delivery Network is an organisation's globally distributed network of servers deployed for the purpose of faster content delivery by replicating the digital content strategically across all the servers in the ECDN. The digital content is then made available in many places and when a user accesses it, the content from the nearest server is delivered and served to the user.
Without the ECDN, there are high chances of encountering the problems of network congestion and delayed delivery due to sudden and numerous requests from the users when they all try to access content at the same time.
VIDIZMO uses the ECDN to distribute live as well as on-demand video content. VIDIZMO allows organizations configure their own Origin and Edge servers for uninterrupted and fast live or on-demand streaming experience.
Streaming Server Options
By default, VIDIZMO provides four possible ECDN configurations to its customers:
- General Streaming Server Provider
- Wowza Streaming Server Provider (On-premise)
- Wowza Cloud Streaming Server Provider
- VIDIZMO Streaming Server Provider
This article discusses ECDN Node configuration of VIDIZMO Streaming Server type. Users opting to utilize VIDIZMO CDNs as streaming endpoints can configure this option. VIDIZMO provides added caching capabilities as compared to General Streaming Server Provider.
Before you Start
- ECDNs can only be configured at the Account-level (main Portal), and are inherited from this main Portal to all the sub-portals where these servers can be utilized but cannot be added, updated or deleted.
- Only users with Administrator or Manager roles can view, edit, delete and add ECDN Nodes in Streaming Server configuration.
1. From the Portal's Homepage
i. Click on the navigation menu on the top left of your screen
ii. Expand Admin tab
iii Click on Control Panel
2. From the Manage Portal navigation pane in Control Panel:
ii. Select ECDN Nodes
iii. Select Add Server to add a new ECDN node
3. On the Add ECDN screen:
i. Select VIDIZMO as your Streaming Server Provider
ii. Provide a Title for the Streaming Server
iii. Specify the Node Type that you wish to configure:
- Creating a node of type Origin in case of serving on-demand content will create it as an edge node because the uploaded content resides at the storage provider from where it is originally served
Note: VIDIZMO Streaming Server configured as Origin only serves on-demand content.
- Select Edge to configure a server that locally caches content form Origin Server and serves them to the end-users
Note: VIDIZMO Streaming Server configured as Edge can serve live as well as on-demand content.
iv. If you selected Node Type as Edge in the previous step, you will have to define its Origin server here from a list of available Origin servers, otherwise the field will be locked by default
v. You can Enable/Disable the use of this server by the toggle button
vi. Select the physical Location where you want the server to be based
vii. Specify the Server Type based on the type of content that will be served through this server. The options available are:
- On Demand: For on-demand streaming of content
- Live: For live streaming of content
viii. Specify the Base Playback URL on which this node would serve content
ix. Click on Save to save your ECDN node
A notification will appear stating Streaming Server Added Successfully.
To know more about configuring a live stream in VIDIZMO, read: